Indian Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology (IIEST) are institutes proposed by the Government of India to meet the growing demand for engineering and scientific manpower to meet our country’s increased industrialization. The proposed IIESTs would be created by an act of the Parliament of India. They would be given the status of Institutes of National Importance, on the lines of IITs and NITs by the Indian government.
- The upgradation would be brought forth initially by introducing two separate schedules in the NIT Act and the act would be renamed NIT-IIEST Act. By virtue of this act the power of authority passes to the Central Government. Gradually as more institutes get the approval, the central government would enact a separate act for the IIESTs.
- The institute will be able to have 50% seats reserved for its domicile candidates. Rest will be selected on a national basis like the NITs. The selection will be through AIEEE (All India Engineering Entrance Exam) and half of the seats will be reserved for students from within the state.
- IIESTs would be special in the sense that these would be catering towards post-graduate and research studies exclusively like the IISc differing only in the sense that most of their courses will be integrated in nature like the 5-year Integrated M. Tech., Integrated M. Tech. and PhD programs in engineering and science.
- The colleges will also emphasize on admitting many foreign students for their M. Tech. and doctorate programs.
- The state would have a representative in the Governing body unlike any other institutes. The state govt. will be able to nominate 2 or 3 representatives to the governing council of IIEST. Thus the IIEST model is deviating from the recommendations made by the Committee, which assumed full control of central government and admission of students on 100% national basis.
- IIEST Kolkata Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur
- IIEST Cochin Cochin University of Science & Technology School of engineering
- IIEST Hyderabad Osmania University College of Technology
- IIEST Visakhapatanam Andhra University College of Engineering.